The WWE Hates Its Fans and They Keep Coming Back For More

Twice this year, I’ve been compelled to write about pro wrestling.

Twice this year, I’ve been brought back to a show I wasn’t watching.

Twice this year, I’ve been horribly disappointed.

Twice this year, I’ve given up on pro wrestling.

triple h asshole
In January, the WWE stumbled into a tremendous opportunity – CM Punk had held the WWE Title for over a year before facing the Rock at the Royal Rumble. In this era of frequent title changes and monthly pay-per-views, the fact that Punk’s streak was among the longest since Hulk Hogan’s historic first run in the mid-1980’s was relatively mind-blowing.

The possibilities were endless. Yes, the WWE was hell-bent on running Rock/Cena as its WrestleMania main event. But it didn’t need the title – even if they desperately wanted Rocky introduced as WWE Champion during his media appearances leading up to the show*. Imagine if Punk was still champion, going on 18 months, leading into WrestleMania. Imagine how epic his match with the Undertaker at that show – the one that stole the show anyway – would have been.

*Spoiler Alert: He wasn’t.

Instead, Punk lost the title to the Rock. Then he lost to the Rock again. Then he lost to Cena. Then he lost to the Undertaker.

Then we come to Daniel Bryan, he of the infamous 18-second WrestleMania loss. Like Punk before him, the WWE stumbled into a tremendous opportunity. Except this was even more organic and wrought with even more possibilities.

As I wrote then, Bryan does not fit the WWE stereotype. He is smaller. He has a long beard. He wrestles a unique style. He is the anti-John Cena in almost every possible way. This summer, the WWE crowds went apeshit for Daniel Bryan.

Leading up to SummerSlam, it seemed like the WWE had founds it new superstar – the one that could unite the younger generation of fans with the older, cynical ones like myself. He was the new Guy.

He beat John Cena in a tremendous match at SummerSlam for the WWE Title. His moment, however, was cut short, because Triple H turned heel and Randy Orton won the title.

Last night, Daniel Bryan again went after the WWE Title. This time, he was screwed by a returning Shawn Michaels.

Over the past two months, Daniel Bryan has headlined four straight PPVs.

Over the past two months, Daniel Bryan has been “screwed” out of the title on four straights PPVs.

Over the past two months, Daniel Bryan has been overshadowed in his own storyline by Triple H, Big Show, Stephanie McMahon, Randy Orton, Brie Bella and, now, Shawn Michaels.

And this is the guy that was supposed to be the Guy?

In June, Grantland.com’s resident wrestling expert had the audacity to praise the McMahon family and the WWE for “trolling the audience” – as if Vince McMahon knows what the fuck trolling means. The conceit of the story is that the WWE is actively pissing off the audience on purpose to keep us watching.

The WWE hates its fans. That much we can agree on. But they aren’t doing it to engage us. They are doing it because they can, because they will and because we have nowhere else to go.

The WWE is a monopoly. As such, they have no impetus to give fans what they want, regardless of marketing spin. Because if they wanted to give fans what they want, Daniel Bryan would be WWE Champion right now.

Not only is he not champion, he has been effectively buried on television for the past 2 months – highlighted and punctuated by Triple H referring to him as a “B+ player.” If Bryan had won the title and shoved that comment back in Triple H’s face, no harm, no foul. Instead, Bryan is still not champion. Ratings are cratering. Buyrates are at all-time lows. The WWE doesn’t care.

The WWE knows that it has a core audience of 3-4 million people that will Monday Night Raw each week. In world of fractured television audiences, you can print money off of 4 million people watching your show for 3 hours every week. The NHL would kill for that weekly audience. Most college football games don’t come anywhere near that number.

The WWE knows that its core audience will remain no matter what. It hasn’t had serious competition in over a decade. It won’t have serious competition for at least another decade.

The worst part is how it reduces pro wrestling fans to apologists. Monday Night Raw is our shared routine, like tuning into the Simpsons at 8pm every Sunday night or Saturday Night Live even though all three are far cries and miles removed from the glory years.

The apologists for Daniel Bryan began as soon as Randy Orton swooped in at SummerSlam to win the title with the help of a newly-turned Triple H. The WWE, they said, was simply providing Daniel Bryan was an insurmountable obstacle – the “chase” in wrestling parlance – that would make his eventual title win even that much more satisfying.

As if beating John Cena clean during the second biggest PPV of the year wasn’t satisfying enough.

If you’re a Daniel Bryan fan, there’s a good chance you’ve bought the last four PPVs – roughly $200 worth – to see your hero get screwed out of the title.

Are you really going to pay for the next one and bring your sad total up to $250?

The WWE knows that for many, the answer is yes. The pro wrestling addiction is a sad one – one that is almost impossible to kick.

I know this from experience. So stop if you’ve heard this from me before – I’m done with the WWE.

PS – See you for the Royal Rumble. Sigh.

Follow me on Twitter

Comments

  1. Well said, and I generally agree with you. However, I haven't paid for a PPV since SummerSlam, and I probably won't until the Rumble. I'm also not done with the product because I still want to see a handful of guys perform, even if I'm really ticked with how the main event has been booked the last few months.

    That's not to say that I won't be driven away. The first time was essentially after Jake Roberts left, and was then sealed by WM9. I came back when Jake returned (though I disliked his born again schtick) and stayed first because I was intrigued by the return of the Ultimate Warrior, and then because I dug Mick Foley (Mankind's first run). I bailed again when Mick "retired" and was essentially pulled back in with Punk's "Pipe Bomb"promo and quickly grew to love Daniel Bryan. I Netflixed a number of PPVs to try and get caught up on what happened in between. These days, I'm also interested in Bray Wyatt...I hope he can bring his ringwork up to snuff with his promos.

    A lot of the significant joy I felt when DBry pinned Cena has been sucked away by the last few months. If my annoyance exceeds the pleasure I get from watching the WWE and discussing it on a particular blog (of Doom), I'll walk away until something else catches my interest.

    Great business model, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why? Why do you keep coming back? Yes, WWE doesn't have a real competitor IN THIS BUSINESS. But WWE has sucked for years now. I once thought there was NOTHING that could ever drive me away from watching RAW for good. I was wrong. However, i am still contributing to the WWE Machine by buying DVDs of OLD pro wrestling. The DVDs that focus on the way it used to be.

    (After years away, someone persuaded me to watch Wrestlemania this year. Not bad from a money standpoint, as I didn't pay a cent towards it. However, the whole HHH Love-in against Lesnar drove me away again.)

    If you need your wrestling kick, get DVDs/BluRays of old shows. Or watch TNA or ROH(Yes, seriously). There is nothing new that WWE will ever do that will be worth watching.

    Anyone who paid $200(in this economy and all) to get screwed over by HHH and Michaels giving the middle finger to the fans...well they deserve it. I didn't watch any of those shows. I have no interest in watching any of those shows.

    Do those 3-4 million really have NOTHING better to do on a Monday evening? Do those 3-4 million really have no better way to spend $200. If I had a spare $200, there is NO WAY I'd spend it on that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment