Facebook Discovered America’s New Racism Before America Did

The first person to know about our country’s renewed problems with racism turned out to be Facebook’s algorithm.

fb russian ads
Of course, an algorithm isn’t a person. The algorithm didn't see anything wrong. It saw a demand for racism and filled the void. Not to overstate things, but that is exactly why Donald Trump is President.

Right after the election, I re-entered the Facebook waters after largely ignoring it for the bulk of the 2016 campaign. I instantly realized what a tremendous mistake that had been. The Trump voters came out of the woodwork that week and I should have seen it coming. Their feeds and their posts were stacked deep with anti-Hillary propaganda, anti-Obama sentiments and an easily deduced resentment of minorities and women.

At first, I blamed myself. If only I had been there through 2016, I could have shown extended family and former classmates they were being led astray. That the posts they were sharing were totally inaccurate. That the comments they were sharing were racist. That Donald Trump was lying to them.

However, it wouldn’t have mattered. As has been noted by many in the past nine months – Trump voters have been conned and will not listen to reason. They believe that their truth is the indisputable truth and those sharing “facts” are instead sharing “fake news” and damn it’s a terrible time to be alive.

The problem with the Facebook ad platform – or the beauty of it, depending on your point of view – is that it brings ads directly to you. Beyond serving them up based on your specific interests, it allows others to share that advertising directly with you as a virtual word of mouth.

Think of the Mom test. If my Mom sends me a stupid ad, I’m going to watch it. Even if it’s incredibly stupid and I have no interest in the ad, I will watch it since my Mom watched it.

Well if my Mom was a horrible racist, she would have spent 2016 sending me anti-Hillary memes that I would never have seen myself.

That’s why the reported $100,000 figure that Russian interests spent on fake political advertising is so scary, because that $100,000 can turn into millions upon millions of views if the ad goes “viral” and what goes viral during campaign season?

Not only were these horrible Hillary memes getting shared, but they were getting shared personally from one to another. The “word of mouth” aspect gave them credibility. Instead of saying, “I saw this Trump ad on Facebook,” it becomes, “Uncle Rico showed me this about Hillary,” and so on and so forth. The lies spread like viruses and the whole country becomes infected.

I had been fed up with Facebook for years, but I kept my account active through 2016 even if I rarely visited. Following the election, I determined that I needed to stay on, if only to contradict the people in my network that, to my dismay, had revealed themselves as racist Trump voters.

I learned very, very quickly that racist Trump voters do not like being told they are racist Trump voters. As a great rapper once said, “The hard-headed always gotta feel it to believe it.” My words weren’t going to convince them that they were just the latest to be conned by Trump. They’ll be convinced themselves through his actions. And if they don’t get convinced, then they weren’t conned – they were outright racists.

The steady stream of Facebook news related to their ads over the past few weeks finally caused me to throw in the towel. Despite any good intentions I may have had about confronting racists on Zuckerberg’s platform, there is too much work to be done at Facebook for me to support them any longer.

I deleted my Facebook account. I strongly urge you to do so as well.

The problem for Facebook is the same facing many Silicon Valley companies who have no idea how to control the technology they have created. It’s like when a bot is sent off to Twitter to learn how to be human and become a racist piece of trash within hours.

Our robot friends cannot see through the hate that has bubbled up throughout our country. There is money to be made by mining the hate that lives in the underbelly of our country. It’s always been there. It was only Facebook that figure out how to pinpoint exactly where that underbelly was located.

The reaction from Facebook and Mark Zuckerberg following the election helped my breakup. How could they not see what was going on? How could Zuckerberg not understand what was taking place? Why did it take a personal appeal from Obama to figure it out?

Facebook has a long, long road to traverse before I return. Handing over approximately 3,000 Russian-funded ads is a good start. But it is just the start.

I hope I return to Facebook someday because it means Facebook will have fixed its problems. I am not holding my breath.

Follow me on Twitter

Comments