We Can’t Forget Life in 2020 When Discussing Life in 2022

For good reason, it seems like our country has collectively forgot the depths of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020.

aew dc 2022
To kick off 2022, as the omicron variant ran wild, there has been a bizarre push from the far left and right corners of America’s political spectrum to declare they are “over” the COVID-19 pandemic. Well, join the club, we all are.

Except these folks complaining want it over completely. They don’t want to hear about it. They don’t want to deal with it. They want lives to go back to exactly how they were in February 2020.

There are two very specific things these people need to remember. First, we are never returning to the way life was exactly in February 2020. Second, life hasn’t changed that much.

The complaints through December and January about omicron were the type of selfish, me-first complaints that have dogged the United States from the beginning of the pandemic. “My son’s school is closed.” “The play I was going to attend has been postponed.” “The basketball game I want to see has been canceled.” “The grocery store is out of the frozen foods I like it.” Me, me, me, ran through every complaint.

Lost in these complaints was any sort of recognition about why these events were canceled, or why schools were closed, or why the supply chain was messed up. People were getting sick with COVID-19. Yes, the omicron variant proved to be far less deadly for those vaccinated. Yes, the unvaccinated were the main driver of the surge. No, your personal opinions about the pandemic doesn’t end it.

Recently, the national news media was shocked and stunned when the January jobs report came out and - surprise, surprise - businesses were hiring more than ever and people were confused.

They were confused because they had listened to loudest, most obnoxious voices about COVID-19 instead of opening their eyes. Everything is open. Nothing is closed. As long as people are healthy, people are living their lives.

I live in Washington, D.C., one of the bluest areas in the country. If you watched Fox News, you would think that Washington, D.C. spent January in lockdown hell due to COVID-19. I went to two pro wrestling shows in D.C. with roughly 3,000 fans each night. We all wore masks. There were no COVID-19 outbreaks. I had an amazing time and AEW provided me with the highlight of the month.

Restaurants are open here at full capacity. So are theaters and arenas. Stores are open. Hotels are open. There is literally nothing you could do in February 2020 that you cannot do in February 2022.

What are the complaints then? It feels like these “I want COVID to be over” people are really complaining about is that other people are more slowly returning to life. My buddy went to the first of the two wrestling shows with me, then didn’t feel like doing it again. As he said, “I think once is enough for now, can’t wait for them to come back.” Did I get mad at him for being more cautious? Of course not. Why would I? His decision didn’t affect me at all. I went to the 2nd show by myself and had a good time.

covid schools 2022
At the heart of all this is a fundamental lack of context, and that context is the hell that was 2020, before we had vaccines or a functioning federal government that wanted to fight the virus. We went months and months without seeing friends and family. Sporting events were canceled and then had no crowds for the majority of the year, and even when they did, it was very, very small social distanced crowds. Restaurants weren’t open for indoor dining and those that were seemed to quickly cause a COVID-19 outbreak.

Let’s be as blunt as possible: 2020 was the worst year of my life. I didn’t see my parents for the entire year. No Christmas. No Thanksgiving. I spent only a few days in the office. My wife spent the fall teaching preschool in-person, and she was run ragged on a daily basis. It sucked. It really, really sucked.

As I look around in early 2022, life doesn’t really suck. Of course, the omicron variant was a huge bummer, and I didn’t get to see some friends over my Christmas break. But with vaccines, I did get to see my family and my grandfather. I have tickets for several basketball and hockey games in the next two months. Work trips are back on the calendar, along with in-person events.

I don’t expect a quick snap back to normalcy, but it certainly feels like things are trending in the right direction.

Are they perfect? No, of course.

Are they better than they were? Yes, by miles.

Follow me on Twitter

Comments