Reliving Joe Biden's Win and the Best Day of 2020

I’ve lived in Washington, D.C. for 15 years of my life and never experienced a day like that.

During my college years, I lived through 9/11, WTO riots, and the 2002 sniper. Since returning about a decade ago, I’ve lived through multiple championship parades, protests, marches, and even the military attacking peaceful protestors.

dc nov 7 2020
Despite all of that, there was never a day in this city like Saturday, November 7, 2020, and I’m so glad I was here the day that Joe Biden was projected to become the next President of the United States.

I was here on Inauguration Day in 2017. It was cold, wet, and dark. It felt off. Inauguration Day is usually this city’s biggest party. That day it felt like a funeral, and that’s no hyperbole. There was no excitement. The few maga attendees were largely quiet in the morning heading down to the National Mall. There were no crowds. The bars and restaurants in our neighborhood were empty. In retrospect, he lost the 2020 election that day – the majority of the country didn’t support him.

For the next four years, and particularly in 2020, he and Republicans cast a pall over the city. We had an unwelcome visitor who happened to be squatting in our house. And we couldn’t get rid of him until November 2020. Get rid of him we did though.

The few days after the election concluded were frustrating once it became obvious that Joe Biden had won. Thanks to Republicans’ sowing uncertainty about the election, news organizations wanted to be 101% sure that Joe Biden won.

By Saturday morning, we were all sick of looking at Steve Kornacki and John King. We knew the outcome. We just needed them to say it. I was exhausted. I thought they would call it and we’d all go back to sleep. I may have slept 12 hours in total that week.

Instead, Wolf Blitzer declared Joe Biden as the next President of the United States and our city exploded. Cities across the world did too. Outside of our apartment building is a weekly farmer’s market on Saturdays, so we could instantly hear the screams and celebrations. My wife immediately started blasting Bustin’ Loose like the Nats had won the World Series again, and I popped a little bit of the bubbly.

Yet I still didn’t understand what was about to happen that day. After about a half hour celebration with the two of us, we decided to head down to the White House. We weren’t prepared for what accompanied us.

It has been described as the scene in countries where dictatorships fall, and I can’t argue otherwise. We were all beyond happy. It was a four-year release of screaming and yelling and honking of horns. We didn’t stay out long, due to the fear of being too close to other for too long, but it was so worth it. Cars were honking on Mass Avenue well past I walked my dog for his post-dinner walk in the early evening.

That night, Clemson played Notre Dame in the biggest college football game of the year, and I watched it on my laptop because Joe Biden and Kamala Harris were speaking on the big screen. I’m still convinced those Notre Dame students – far more left-leaning than its administration – rushed thefield that night in part due to their excitement of a good Catholic boy being elected President.

Of course, 2020 is 2020 and life returned to being a giantpile of crap shortly thereafter, and the holidays have brought more awful waves of sickness and death.

With a hopeful eye to future and 2021, I will never forget November 7, 2020, when thinking about this year. It was the one day we were truly happy. It was the one day we actually forgot about our crippling reality.

As I remember that day, I am struck by what I was wearing – a Kenny Omega t-shirt. It was a couple weeks before Thanksgiving and the temperatures on that beautiful sunny day was approaching 70, nearly the complete opposite in every way from the weather on Inauguration Day 2017.

To me, that’s a sign. Good times are ahead. Heaven help us, they have to be. 

Follow me on Twitter

Comments